Tuesday, December 6, 2011

All I needed was a new chair . . .

. . . but what I got was a whole new corner.

The vinyl on the stool I had used for several years was split in a couple of places and, to be honest, the thing never was comfortable anyway. It came with my keyboard and the price was right (free) so I had made use of it. I decided now was the time to treat myself to a new chair so I could work on my scrapbooks and surf the net in comfort. I checked around for prices and styles. I especially liked the ones that reminded me of the teachers' chairs when I was in school. However, that style was expensive. I looked on theEclassifieds.com [shameless plug for our website] and found a chair - with a matching desk and filing cabinet - that I could afford. I called the person who had placed the ad and made arrangements to go look at it. My mind was already made up, provided it was as nice as the photos suggested. I would have paid for the chair what she was asking for all three pieces.

If I bought the set, I would need to make room for more furniture. I had used an old drafting table for a desk so that would have to go. I didn't have much storage space for my scrapbooking supplies. While I was cleaning out my corner, why not go ahead and de-clutter? One thing led to another and, before I knew it, Keith and I were at Lowe's buying shelving. We measured, marked, and mounted. To my surprise, the shelves came out level . . . almost . . . well, let's just say things don't slide off.

The week prior, Amanda had reorganized her room and somehow had a chest of drawers left over. (I still haven't figured out where she put all her stuff but now I'm afraid to look under her bed.) Keith and I dragged the chest into my room. I put my scrapbooking paper and embellishments in the drawers. I loaded the wall shelves with the remaining supplies and filled the empty spots with knickknacks. I had a place for everything and everything was in place. I could hardly wait to get the desk and chair.

Keith was working the day the seller and I had planned to meet so I took his truck and drove to her house. The furniture looked just as I anticipated so I paid her and she offered to help me load it in the truck. It's a good thing because it is much heavier than it looks. It took all our muscle to get that desk hoisted into the truck bed. After wrapping the furniture with a quilt and tying it down, I headed home. Amanda, who won't weigh 90 pounds soaking wet, helped me unload it. We rolled the chair and filing cabinet into my room but we could only manage to get the desk into the garage. It had to wait there until Keith got home so he could help me get it into the house.

I was pleased with the way everything fit into the corner. The filing cabinet drawers open all the way without hitting the chest. While it doesn't match exactly, my old filing cabinet blends in well enough. I even treated myself to a mousepad customized with one of my favorite photos from our trips out west. The larger desk drawer is intended for a keyboard but I put my makeup in there so it now doubles as a vanity. I hope I can keep things this organized but, knowing me, it won't look this way for very long. I decided I should take a picture of it while it is still tidy. Now I'm ready for my next project. I need to move the tv but that would mean taking everything off the tv stand so I might as well upgrade to a Blu-ray player while it's disconnected . . .

No comments:

Post a Comment