Saturday, February 14, 2009

The Seed Sower

Millions of alfalfa, fescue, and lespedeza seeds have flowed through this device. It was made by the Cyclone Seeder Co., Inc. of Urbana, Indiana. My dad has been using it for over 50 years. Before that, it belonged to my Papaw Hargraves. It has been patched, undoubtedly by my mother, and repaired in several places. My dad would walk through the fields with the strap around his neck, turning the crank which broadcasts the seeds. Walking is something that doesn't come easily for him nowadays so he drives his truck through the field while spreading the seeds out the open door. However, not all the seeds end up on the ground. We had to take his truck to the carwash today to vacuum it. We bought another bag of seeds, too.

I posted the above paragraph yesterday, February 14. I got a call this morning that Daddy had fallen and broken his hip. He is currently in the hospital and will undergo surgery on Tuesday. Please keep him in your prayers.

No comments:

Post a Comment